Surfing is a sport that breaks language, culture and racial barriers. It has successfully done so over the years producing a lot of individuals who have in return contributed much to the sport. To some, surfing may be a fad, a craze, or an obsession, but to the founders and pillars of the sport, it was passion for surfing that created the biggest swell of surfers worldwide.
Let’s have a look at some interesting and fun facts about this sport:
1. The first account of surfing was given in 1778 by Captain James Cook when he saw it being practiced in Hawaii. Cook wrote: “I could not help concluding this man had the most supreme pleasure while he was driven so fast and so smoothly by the sea.”
2. The first official surfing contest took place at Corona del Mar, California in 1928.
3. There has been a degree course in Surf Science and Technology at Plymouth University in the UK since 1999.
Surfers only ride a wave for an average time of six seconds, and the waves of their lives only arrive from time to time.
But in this sport, it’s rare to meet someone who quit surfing because he or she didn’t enjoy the feeling of walking on water. Surfers have more fair surf sessions on average than they do epic moments in crystal clear waves. The best rides of their lives come along only once in a while.
Surfing is highly addictive. It is one of the most popular board sports ever invented. There are over 20 million surfers in the world, and the number is growing fast.
Number of very good reasons why surfing is so addictive:
1. Riding a wave is a breathless experience;
2. Sun, salt and sand are a virtuous blend;
3. Oceans have a positive impact on human health;
4. The best way to forget your daily problems is to face bigger challenges;
5. In the lineup, you’re alone with everybody;
6. Every wave has a different feeling;
7. As you progress, you’re compelled to surf better each day;
8. There are waves in every corner of the world;
9. It’s a great way of living life;
10. A beer tastes better after a surf session;
11. Personal surfing photos are inestimable;
12. Only a surfer knows the feeling;
13. There’s a deep sense of connection with the cultural history of surfing through time;
14. There’s always the next surfboard to be bought;
15. Surfing makes you feel alive;
16. The first wave ride is unforgettable;